Gov. Baker's 9C Cuts & Opioid Epidemic

Virtual Cafe room for all your political news and discussions. Political bashing is highly recommended ;) Nothing like a good ol' New England style debate to warm the soul.

Gov. Baker's 9C Cuts & Opioid Epidemic

Postby Save Tewksbury Now on Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:05 am

http://www.yourtewksburytoday.com/2016/ ... very-plans

Good. Handle your life. Best wishes but don't ask everyone else to pitch in for your personal battle.
Save Tewksbury Now

Re: Gov. Baker's 9C Cuts & Opioid Epidemic

Postby bigdaddy on Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:49 pm

This crisis can happen to any family regardless of whatever factors you feel are at play. This is an epidemic. How can you say handle your life in such a cold manner. The opioid crisis is faceless, nameless, ageless, Its going to get worse before it even comes close to getting a handle on this. This everyones problem. Governor Baker I beg of you to find some money in the budget.
bigdaddy

Postby Save Tewksbury Now on Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Cholera is an epidemic. Drug abuse & addiction is ALWAYS a choice. The "addiction as a disease" theory is absolutely bogus. I wish anyone who is battling addiction/self-medicating with dangerous substances the best -- but it is problem for the self, not the community. Charities can help, by the good of their own graces, but it should never be taxpayer funded.
Save Tewksbury Now

Postby JCosgrove on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:28 pm

Always looking for a taxpayer bailout. Typical. Self abuse is self abuse stop putting the bottle to your mouth.
JCosgrove

Postby Lil Big Mouth on Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Im not personally affected by this but I do feel for the people caught up in this epidemic. Do you also say to ALL people on welfare "just get a job"? That money that was cut will go to waste somewhere else in the budget
Lil Big Mouth

Postby jtciampa on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:29 pm

When you say "it's their choice" what about people who are injured and are given opioid medications in the hospital to deal with the extreme pain? This is one path to addiction that affects a lot of people, young and old, rich and poor.

I have been skeptical of the "it's a disease so it's not my fault" theory about addiction but this clearly goes beyond recreational usage and poor decisions. This isn't some kid swiping a bottle from the old man's liquor cabinet. I have been to several wakes for friends who have lost a son or daughter. There are no words to describe what they are feeling. A few hundred thousand $$ to spare a father or mother this sort of pain seems like a pittance compared to the massive waste spent on pet programs and outright pork in the budget.

Make no mistake, it might look like you are safe beyond the reach of this crisis but I assure you that it can strike very close to home without any warning.
jtciampa

Postby GuitarTeacher on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:47 pm

jtciampa wrote:When you say "it's their choice" what about people who are injured and are given opioid medications in the hospital to deal with the extreme pain? This is one path to addiction that affects a lot of people, young and old, rich and poor.

I have been skeptical of the "it's a disease so it's not my fault" theory about addiction but this clearly goes beyond recreational usage and poor decisions. This isn't some kid swiping a bottle from the old man's liquor cabinet. I have been to several wakes for friends who have lost a son or daughter. There are no words to describe what they are feeling. A few hundred thousand $$ to spare a father or mother this sort of pain seems like a pittance compared to the massive waste spent on pet programs and outright pork in the budget.

Make no mistake, it might look like you are safe beyond the reach of this crisis but I assure you that it can strike very close to home without any warning.

Very well said!
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby Harry on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:25 am

The "cuts" were made due to the programs are being handled by other agencies. The bulk of the cuts were involved in setting up ANOTHER "task" force, more big Government, within the County Government. Nobody needs to be reminded that MA County Government is one of the largest, bloated, ineffectual systems currently operating in MA. Largely an epic waste of money.

Whenever the usual suspects cry poor mouth in this State one only needs to remember that MA is in the top 10 highest taxed/fee states in America as well as having placed the largest debt per capita upon its residents of all 50 states.

MA has plenty of money but lots of poor choices on what they have done with it.
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Postby Save Tewksbury Now on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:17 am

"Make no mistake, it might look like you are safe beyond the reach of this crisis but I assure you that it can strike very close to home without any warning."

We are talking about people CHOOSING to put a substance(s) before all other aspects of life, not a lightning strike.
Save Tewksbury Now

Postby Harry on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:51 pm

bigdaddy wrote:This crisis can happen to any family regardless of whatever factors you feel are at play. This is an epidemic. How can you say handle your life in such a cold manner. The opioid crisis is faceless, nameless, ageless, Its going to get worse before it even comes close to getting a handle on this. This everyones problem. Governor Baker I beg of you to find some money in the budget.

Well, apparently the State "Leaders" are swimming in cash. As I have always said, there is plenty of money, just a Government devoid of morals and lacking any sense of right or wrong.

http://cltg.org/

CLT NEWS RELEASE
Tuesday, January 24, 2017

No to arrogant pay grab

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Chip Faulkner, communications director ― 508-915-3665

Just two months after election "The Best Legislature Money Can Buy" got too cute with this latest pay grab proposal. They're piling this latest taxpayer-abusive pay raise alongside a different stack of cash ― their base salary ― above and beyond the only constitutionally-mandated automatic “salary adjustment” in the history of the world.

Since their 1998 constitutional amendment won't permit them to vote for a hike in their base salary, in exchange for that automatic “adjustment,” they've now schemed to circumvent that prohibition and insult the voters who foolishly believed them that they’d never again vote for their own pay raises.

Chip Ford, executive director of CLT, noted: “After five months of taxpayer-funded paid vacation, on its return self-enrichment is the Legislature's first priority without even a public hearing. This tells constituents of each legislator all they need to know.”

Their 4.1 percent raise last month made them the sixth-highest paid state legislators in the nation, but that wasn't enough. Now they're shooting for Number One and this shameless haul would put them close if not there.

If only they could get this creative with solving real problems, could accomplish meaningful legislation this whiplash rapidly, they might be worth more pay without evoking the wrath of their constituents.

If this arrogant pay grab is adopted, CLT promises this affront will be forefront on the voters' minds when their representative and senator stand for re-election ― and we keep our promises.

Already the 6th highest paid State legislators in the county......for less than part time hours.

Does anyone find this disgraceful?

But more importantly, is there anyone in MA that even cares about this anymore?
Experience hath shown, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson
Harry

Return to Political Cafe Room