Free ride for some?

Due to great demand, here is a place to "Follow the Money", that our officials are constantly withdrawing from our pockets!! Lets expose them when they screw us!!! As a former "sheep", I'm tired of our officials pissing on us and telling us it's raining outside!!

Free ride for some?

Postby busybee on Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Does anyone have - or know where to get - the figure for how many non-resident students attend school in Tewksbury?
busybee

Re: Free ride for some?

Postby towniegirl on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:55 pm

I am willing to bet that the number is high due to the number of hotels/motels we have in town. We put up many single mom's and their kids in these hotels and also supply the education. I am sure a call to Jim Miceli could get such a number.
towniegirl

Postby busybee on Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Well, it's higher than that, as former Tewks. residents continually use their parents' addresses to put their children through our schools from neighboring cities. I know several families who do/have done this. So, they pay $0 taxes to this town, drive to their mother's house (whose children already went through the school system) every morning/afternoon so their kids can get on/off the bus. I don't understand why they're listed in Lowell (phone book, online), and you know their utility bills reflect their *actual* address...but their kids are still in our schools? This is not something new; I know families whose children have gone from k-12 on Tewksbury's dime. Seems like a lot of cost, when multiplied per student (the families I have seen doing this have 2+ children each). And I don't even know how this could go on, if we are on top of residency requirements?
busybee

Postby concerned_nobody on Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:18 pm

Almost as bad as all the Tewksbury residents who drive cars with New Hampshire plates, to avoid the excise tax, inspections, and registration fees and pay less than their share of auto insurance.
concerned_nobody

Postby busybee on Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:48 am

Agreed! Seems there is a car registered in NH on every corner! I know of someone who uses his (estranged) father's NH address, and his car is parked in Tewksbury every single night of the week. It may not seem like a lot, but if it costs *millions* to out-district nearly 100 students...how much does it cost to take IN at least as many (from k-12) from out of town? Some sources indicate that Tewksbury spends $17k PER STUDENT. And how much is being lost to unpaid excise tax? Again, multiplied over YEARS...

It certainly feels as though some balls are being dropped - and, as always, the taxpayers are footing the bill :x
busybee

Postby bferrari on Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:28 pm

REPORT THEM. Report as much info as you know about the car or the people. The state will investigate.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby my2cents on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:08 am

Not to ruffle any feathers here, but I think the idea of the post(s) was that the powers-that-be are missing too much (costing YOU and ME in the long run). It is sad that the suggestion would be for town residents to police themselves, but not the slightest hint that the *town* should crack down. I am a resident, not a whistle-blower. I would not want to suffer retaliation in today's social climate, thank you. If the town was upholding its own laws, there would be no need to put this back on the residents. I may be off-base, but I don't think the OP placed the post in "Tewksbury Fiscal Mismanagement" by accident...
my2cents

Return to Tewksbury Fiscal Mismanagement