Will the stench ever end???

All about the stench coming from the South Tewksbury Piggery

Re: Will the stench ever end???

Postby swamper on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:51 pm

swamper

Postby Leslie on Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Okay- I will be the first to post this.

IT REEKS OF PIG MANURE TODAY ON SOUTH STREET !

15 on a scale of 1 to 10

"HOLY CRAPPOLY, Batman" :roll:
Leslie

Postby PUZZLEMOM on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:09 am

I was driving on Shawsheen St. The stench was there too. It was disgusting..
PUZZLEMOM

Postby Oppose TewksburyOdor on Tue May 01, 2012 12:25 pm

A shame that folks will post on here without having the common sense to contact Krochmal Farm first - for future reference our e-mail address is info@krochmalfarms.com and our phone number is 978-657-5906. I would not have even seen this post, except it was brought to my attention.

Isn’t it strange that when fertilizer is spread on a field to prepare the field for planting if you are in the vicinity you may notice an odor? I cannot apologize for an odor that naturally occurs from the act of a farmer farming. Unfortunately, in order for one to obtain food at a grocery store the food needs to be grown on a farm. Maybe certain folks do not eat food that is grown on a farm, in which case they have every right to complain about the art of farming. I just am not aware of where their food comes from.

A “15 on a scale of 1 to 10”? Yeah, that’s logical. (yeah, that’s sarcasm). –Jenn Nagle
I'm sick of being my brother's keeper.I detest the fact that I am forced to give my time & energy to the few people that learned that if they profess profoundly enough that they're victims, someone seeking power will make me take care of them.
Oppose TewksburyOdor

Postby Leslie on Tue May 01, 2012 4:12 pm

Why would someone contact Krochmal Farm?

Are you saying that they would remove the manure so the smell would disappear, if they are contacted?

I am sure they realize when the farm smells and why, they don't need to be contacted about it.

The post is just a statement of the fact that it really stunk that day, since there doesn't seem to be much else to do about it.
Leslie

Postby Oppose TewksburyOdor on Tue May 01, 2012 5:26 pm

No, Leslie, we can not "remove" a farm odor (unlike one person claims we do when reporters / etc are here). However, when you state "there really isn't much we can do about it"... other than complain, I believe you are mistaken. Had you contacted us and stated you had an issue with the odor we would have been able to explain to you that spreading was occuring in your vicinity if and when it was, we would have been able to enlighten you to the fact that we recently purchased a very expensive piece of equipment called an injector, which when used to fertilize fields it slices the ground and deposits the fertilizer directly into the soil as opposed to on top of the soil, which helps mitigate the odor associated with fertilization. As good and concerned neighbors we are doing all that we can to help this area work together as a community and we truly believe that this equipment along with other upgrades we have aquired will help to keep the community working together. We would have been able to let you know how long the spreading would take (several hours, two days... whatever the case may be) and could explain to you that we do our best not to spread on Fridays and we never spread on weekends. Hopefully by hearing us explain these things to you, you would come to understand that yes, living in a farming community, there may be a few days out of the year that are less than the most pleasant "odor-wise", but knowing what to expect and understanding that these matters must be addressed as farmers, I believe that most people with common sense can understand. Hopefully this will help you, so in the future you can contact us, find out what, if anything, is occuring, and what your expectations can be. Then, when you post on TI, instead of "rating" Krochmal Farms in such a derogatory manner, you could pleasantly enlighten the fellow readers to the fact that in your general vicinity "this" is what is going on and "this" is what we are told to expect from it. A little knowledge goes a long way.
I'm sick of being my brother's keeper.I detest the fact that I am forced to give my time & energy to the few people that learned that if they profess profoundly enough that they're victims, someone seeking power will make me take care of them.
Oppose TewksburyOdor

Postby Leslie on Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 pm

The post was a statement of simple fact- it stunk and it smelled like pig manure.

From what you are saying- it was pig manure.

"This" is the way it is- we get it.

If someone posts the fact that it stinks, that's the way it is, too.

There is no intended derogatory statement about the farm.

At some point, there has to be an admission of the fact that it stinks near the pig farm and folks do not want to know the reasons or hear explanations. It is was it is.

If a person is nauseous for days at a time, can't sleep or eat due to the odor, they certainly get it...'this is the way it is.'

Sorry but, 'enlightenment' is not going to take the smell away.
Leslie

Postby Oppose TewksburyOdor on Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Leslie wrote:The post was a statement of simple fact- it stunk and it smelled like pig manure.

From what you are saying- it was pig manure.
NO, IT WAS TREATED FERTILIZER.

"This" is the way it is- we get it.
NO, IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE YOU DO.

If someone posts the fact that it stinks, that's the way it is
IF SOMEONE IS IGNORANT ENOUGH TO IGNORE THE FACTS STATED IN MY LAST POST, THAT IS THE REASON WE DON'T WORK TOGETHER AS A COMMUNITY.

There is no intended derogatory statement about the farm.
REALLY... "A 15 ON A SCALE OF 1 TO 10"... MAYBE I MISUNDERSTOOD - YOU MUST BE RATING MY PERSONALITY THEN. BEING THAT, THANK YOU, "LESLIE".

At some point, there has to be an admission of the fact that it stinks near the pig farm and folks do not want to know the reasons or hear explanations. It is was it is.
THERE IS ONLY NORMAL FARM ODORS PRESENT AT AND AROUND THE FARM. THE ONLY TIME YOU WOULD NOTICE ANYTHING OTHER THAN THAT, IF IT COMES FROM THE FARM, IS WHEN WE ARE SPREADING FERTILIZER ON THE FIELD. A NECESSITY FOR PREPARING FIELDS FOR SPRING PLANTINGS. WHATEVER... I'VE ALREADY EXPLAINED TOO MANY TIMES... YOU JUST DON'T GET IT.

If a person is nauseous for days at a time, can't sleep or eat due to the odor, they certainly get it...'this is the way it is.'
IF YOU SHOW ME A DOCTOR'S REPORT... EVEN ONE, OF SOMEONE WHO IS "NAUSEOUS FOR DAYS AT A TIME" DUE TO NORMAL FARM ODOR, WHO LIVES IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD, BY A REPUTABLE DOCTOR I WILL NEVER POST ON TI AGAIN. (Go ahead, Bob, I know you are searching for a doctor that will write that before you even finish reading this post! :) hehe).

Sorry but, 'enlightenment' is not going to take the smell away.

NO, BUT IT MIGHT TAKE SOME OF THE IGNORANCE AWAY.... AHHH, BUT IT SEEMS TO ONLY BE A DREAM TO SEE POSTERS ON HERE WITHOUT IGNORANCE. IT MUST BE BLISS.

ALL DONE RESPONDING HERE FOR A WHILE AGAIN. THOUGHT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP, BUT I CAN FEEL MYSELF SLIPPING BACK INTO FRUSTRATED SARCASM AND WE ALL KNOW THAT THE TI GROUPIES DON'T LIKE WHEN I DO THAT, AS THEY ALL TAKE IT TOO PERSONALLY. HAVE A GREAT WEEK ALL.
Oppose TewksburyOdor

Postby moretpani on Tue May 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Farm stink is a farm stink. I believe the only way to 100% mitigate the issue is to move the farm elsewhere. Having said that, we need the farm to eat and I will take the farm stink any day over another John D. special.
moretpani

Postby Rippington on Wed May 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Ahhh, the smell of money.

It's taken years for any kind of cooperation to happen until now, including a threatened Beacon Hill Bill to control unrelenting and non-normal farm stenches. Please don't act like we are all full of sour grapes or something because you decided/forced to finally make an effort to control the non-normal stench.

Ahhh, the smell of money.
Rippington

Postby DavePowers on Wed May 09, 2012 9:13 am

Normal farm smell, my a**. The odor here was terrible, starting on an otherwise beautiful Saturday at the beginning of school vacation and lasted for days.

A few days after that, the waste tank truck from the Krochmal Hog Operation went back and forth to the property at the end of South St over the course of a couple of hours or so. I have videos of the tank truck going back and forth at least four times, I and neighbors smelled odors. Yet I got this from the Health Director of Andover:
I spoke with someone from the [Krochmal] farm today, who informed me that when you saw the truck last week, they intended to spread manure on the field at the Tisbert Farm. She also informed me that they did not end up applying the manure, but she was unsure as to why the application did not happen...
...I can only speculate about why there were numerous trips back and forth and why you would have had an odor.
Thomas G. Carbone
Director of Public Health
Town of Andover, MA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Tajik of UMass Lowell is conducting an anonymous health survey of people in the South St. area. Dozens of people have already been interviewed.
Professor Mansoureh Tajik
978-934-4482

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some may be interested to know that even more neighbors are joining the lawsuit because the Krochmal Hog Factory stunk out the neighborhood so badly vacation week. For those of you interested in learning more:
Attorney Richard H. Middleton
912-234-1133 or 912-238-1941
rhm@middletonfirm.com
http://www.closeanimalfactories.org/abo ... dleton-jr/
DavePowers

Postby Oppose TewksburyOdor on Wed May 09, 2012 9:53 am

Ahhh... my old pal Dave. Here is the article that the Town Crier put in several weeks ago, after you contacted them...

http://homenewshere.com/tewksbury_town_ ... f887a.html

Your lawyer would not even respond to a newspaper doing a story about it. Not only that, nothing has been filed in any courthouse and we have not received any notice of any courtcase. "The Crier attempted to contact Middleton, but he could not be reached for comment."

Here is what we stated when the Crier contacted us, in this past week's front page:

http://homenewshere.com/tewksbury_town_ ... 963f4.html

As far as your complaints, Dave, do you expect there to be no odor when we spread fertilizer on fields to prepare for planting? Do you even realize what fertilizer is made up of? You should, you're full of it.

"professor" Tajik??? Try "Assistant".... you change whatever you want to suit you, don't you? Or do you just not do you your homework? Either way....

One more thing, Dave, your fb page.... I left you a message on it to remove the picture you have posted which is in no way indicitive of our farm (called slander). I await your doing so, even though you have changed the TO page to private group instead of public, unlike my farm page - it is quite noticable that you have not removed the erroneous picture. You have crossed the line, Dave. You are attacking my family, personally, with lies, slander and false accusations. The buck stops here - with me. I invite you to explain yourself to me via e-mail or private message (as I have done before, but you stopped when I graciously pointed out your shortcomings on being truthful - again, I will be more than happy to make every one of those emails between us public, if you have nothing to hide, feel free to agree to that).

As far as going back and forth with you here, on this site, I will not do so any longer. You are a waste of my time.
Oppose TewksburyOdor

Postby emma on Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:03 pm

You know, I tend to be on your side OTO. Farms smell and people know the farm is there when they buy a house in that neighborhood. It's like complaining about the drunks staggering around out front when you buy a house across the street from a bar, or complaining about the noise when you buy a house directly under a flight path into Logan Airport. What does anybody expect in those situations, right? But your attitude tends to be pretty bad when you respond to people, and you resort to "frustrated sarcasm" far too frequently. Maybe you should hire a public relations expert or something. You don't always do a good job of it by yourself.
emma

Postby Save Tewksbury Now on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Dave, I am with you! Stunk today.
Save Tewksbury Now

Previous

Return to Piggery Odor / TewksburyOdor.org