Will the stench ever end???

All about the stench coming from the South Tewksbury Piggery

Re: Will the stench ever end???

Postby bferrari on Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:59 pm

Hello Jenn,

Your constant insinuations that "farm poop smells" is just insulting. My immediate family was born and raised on farms in Italy and still have and work them. I have spent MANY summers living and working on them. I shovelled cow poop for hours, cleaned out a sheep barn, fed pigs and even chased some around for fun... I know which farm smells are normal and which aren't. So let's clear that up first.

One of our grazing fields in Italy:
OurFarmPano.jpg
OurFarmPano.jpg (17.04 KiB) Viewed 4853 times

One of the huge manure piles [blowup of the extreme right of the panorama photo] right across the street from the barns and also next to the houses:
P8210010.jpg
P8210010.jpg (133.65 KiB) Viewed 4853 times

Nobody complains about the manure right next to the houses and the road.

When we're driving around NH or other farm-rich communities and we happen to come across a farm, my wife will even tell you, that sometimes I'll catch a deep breath of the air (manure and all) as it reminds me of the farms in Italy and have a really "distant" smile on my face... The odors in Tewksbury were something completely different.

To me now, the odor isn't nearly as bad as it was, and I RARELY catch whiffs of it anymore which is what I alluded to in my last post, so you must be doing something right. In the past I caught it A LOT from the highway. If I had my eyes closed (not driving of course) I could tell you exactly where I was on Route 93.

Of course I don't live in the Jennies Road neighborhood either so I cannot speak for them.

So "what's my direction"...

1) To stop diverting people's attention to the fact that the odor was NOT normal for a farm. Since it really is a factory in some people's opinion.

2) Get some confirmation from neighbors and neighborhoods right next to, and further away from ground zero:
a) that the smell doesn't exist anymore
b) is barely detectable anymore
c) is better but still bad
d) no change

With information from point 2 above, you can figure out whether your smell mitigation equipment/efforts are working or not.

That's what "working together" means.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby Oppose TewksburyOdor on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:38 pm

bferrari wrote:Hello Jenn,

Your constant insinuations that "farm poop smells" is just insulting. My immediate family was born and raised on farms in Italy and still have and work them. I have spent MANY summers living on them. I know which farm smells are normal and which aren't. So let's clear that up first.

Understood, but, out of curiosity, how many of them had swine farms? And, to further that, how many of those who did / do have livestock farms are handling the number of animals that Krochmal Farms does? Think there may be a difference? Also, of those that may have livestock farms which help to supply it's nation's food source (not just to supplement their family's needs), as Krochmal Farms does, how many of them have had literally hundreds and hundreds of homes built around it in the last 50 or so years?

Yes, I do understand that the to some the smell was bad. But do you understand that LONG before there was a "home rule petition" or House Bill 3818, the farm was working tirelessly with 3 different companies to subdue the odor? I have posted this information before, but everyone chooses to ignore it completely. Maybe as a Site administrator, you could help drive the point home that NEVER did the Cave's want the "ugly" side of their neighbors, nor do we now. NEVER did the Cave's forsee the issue that occured by bringing their farm into the 21st century. And, NEVER EVERwould the Cave's have turned a deaf ear to a neighbor that came to us with civility and maturity, nor would we now.

Were mistakes made - yes. Believe it or not, the Cave's, just like you, are human. When folks started complaining about an odor - to everyone BUT the Cave family, yes we should have addressed their concerns immediately and not relied on legal advise, then everyone would have known at the time that we were trying. We made a mistake. So did everyone that complained without addressing the Cave family personally.

Some folks who are our neighbors are attacked for not supporting the House Bill or for not jumping on the Tewksbury Odor wagon train. Is it because those neighbors did not smell anything? Probably not. Anyone think that maybe it's because they came to us directly and with civility and a common goal and understand now, as they did then, that we are all on the same page as a community? Becuase of the maturity shown by those who came to us and the honesty that was given back to them they continued to work with the farm and the family.

As far as your "direction".. again - you had stated in your previous post something to the effect of let the past be the past and move forward, yet here you state your direction is "To stop diverting people's attention to the fact that the odor was NOT normal for a farm." - ok, but again, it's not a backyard farm either - is it?, not normal for a "small farm" would be more appropriate, in my opinion. Technically and Legally, Krochmal Farm is a "medium sized farm" - by definition. PS - not a "factory" farm, but at least you stated "as in some people's opinion", to which I thank you.

If you get your answers from point Two, I would love for you to share them with me, so long as they have validity - if you have questions on their validity, feel free to call or e-mail. I have been asking for more than a year now for folks to call me or the farm if there are any concerns - I continue to stand by that request. Again, the e-mail for the farm is info@krochmalfarms.com and the phone number is 978-657-5906. We welcome any feedback.

With high hopes for a common goal,
-Jenn
I'm sick of being my brother's keeper.I detest the fact that I am forced to give my time & energy to the few people that learned that if they profess profoundly enough that they're victims, someone seeking power will make me take care of them.
Oppose TewksburyOdor

Postby bferrari on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:57 pm

All of the farms had swine on them.

The crux of this whole issue lay in your statement:

And, to further that, how many of those who did / do have livestock farms are handling the number of animals that Krochmal Farms does?

There's the problem. Everyone lived together in Tewksbury in peace with normal farm odors. Neighborhoods were built nearby and they all knew that a farm was nearby.
Then something changed. The farm got large.
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby Oppose TewksburyOdor on Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Again, wrong information given by one man... it's crazy that folks will take what someone says as the gospel truth and run with it. Do a public records request. There were more than 5x the number of animals on this farm years ago as there are now. I've said it before. As much as I am saying not to take one person's word for it - don't take mine either. Look up the info.
-Thanks,
-Jenn
I'm sick of being my brother's keeper.I detest the fact that I am forced to give my time & energy to the few people that learned that if they profess profoundly enough that they're victims, someone seeking power will make me take care of them.
Oppose TewksburyOdor

Postby moretpani on Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:46 pm

We could not smell anything when we first moved to Tewksbury. Now we can.
Perhaps it has something to do w/ the climate change. I’ll ask Al Gore :lol:

All joke a side, what changed?
moretpani

Postby Oppose TewksburyOdor on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:57 pm

moretpani wrote:We could not smell anything when we first moved to Tewksbury. Now we can.

If you wouldn't mind telling me when you moved to Tewksbury and where about you moved to, that may help me to put your info to more use as far as the odor control at the farm.
I don't want to caution a guess if it is the farm or not without knowing where approximately you moved to in Tewksbury, as Krochmal certainly isn't the only odor offender in town, but if it's close to this end of South St we can probably compare notes and help each other as well as the rest of this community.
..let me know.
Thanks, Jenn
Oppose TewksburyOdor

Postby moretpani on Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 am

Oppose TewksburyOdor wrote:
moretpani wrote:We could not smell anything when we first moved to Tewksbury. Now we can.

If you wouldn't mind telling me when you moved to Tewksbury and where about you moved to, that may help me to put your info to more use as far as the odor control at the farm.
I don't want to caution a guess if it is the farm or not without knowing where approximately you moved to in Tewksbury, as Krochmal certainly isn't the only odor offender in town, but if it's close to this end of South St we can probably compare notes and help each other as well as the rest of this community.
..let me know.
Thanks, Jenn

- Mid 90's

Almost daily stench is smelled when driving on 93 North, around Andover exit (perhaps 41)
moretpani

Postby Oppose TewksburyOdor on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:27 am

moretpani wrote:- Mid 90's
Almost daily stench is smelled when driving on 93 North, around Andover exit (perhaps 41)

OK - mid 90's.... Things have grown since the 90's. The farm has not. One of the biggest corporate growth industries which is abutting 93 is a research lab (used to be Wyeth, but I believe has been bought out by Pfizer) in Andover which conducts Animal-based biomedical research in the pharmaceutical industry. Although the end does justify the means - saving lives, finding treatments and cures for numerous diseases and more, this is a large facility with rats in millions, swine (as their internal organs are extremely similar to humans) and other animals. They do not, as I am aware at this time, have an odor abatement system. Do those animals feces not smell? And guess what.. they are smack dab in the middle of exits 41 and 42 on Rte. 93.

I am not saying that one can never smell the farm. It's a farm. I take issue with odors on Rte. 93 that are blamed on the farm without proper knowledge. Also between exits 41 and 42 is a septic pump station. We all know how well the septic pump station on East Street works, as that seemingly is having an issue at least once a week, how does the one in Wilmington / Andover (not sure exactly where the town line is on that one) work? Also, we can all smell the marshy areas when the water table is low - doesn't smell like roses. There are fields (NONE of them belonging to Krochmal Farms) that fertilize with human manure - these fields are within 2 miles of this farm. There is a slight difference in the odor associated with human vs swine manure. Maybe not as much to a layman. And, I kid you not, we have even been blamed for "roadkill" skunks in town. This I know, because I follow up on odor complaints as soon as I hear of them. When we get an odor complaint from 3 miles away, but none within the 3 miles radius of the farm I am especially weary. More than once I have gone to a "farm odor complaint" area only to see and smell a dead skunk on the road.

If there is an odor that you believe is eminating from the farm... something other than "NORMAL" farming odor, first be aware of where you are. Second... call us, e-mail us - do something. Tell us WHERE you are, what time / day it is, what are you smelling - help us out so we can help you if / when an odor is coming from the farm. We want to work with everyone. We want our neighbors happy. We also don't want to be blamed for every smell that anyone within a 5 mile radius comes in contact in. Please put our phone number and e-mail address in your phone, in your iphones and in your computers. 978-657-5906 or info@krochmalfarms.com We are not telling anyone not to contact the board of health - go ahead, but AT LEAST contact us first so we know of the complaints. We may not hear from the board of health for weeks after a complaint is made (it's usually at least a couple of days after complaint is made). How are we supposed to check on it then?

With high hopes for communication towards a common goal,
Jenn
Oppose TewksburyOdor

Postby BigBoss on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:33 am

I agree with Jenn. Instead of putting up an anonymous posting, please just call the Farm and let them know what is going on. I have done it in the past and nothing bad has ever happened to me. Please remember, we can't fix any problems in this world without having the conversation.
BigBoss

Postby qwilson on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:57 am

I moved to Tewksbury in 2003 to Jennies Way. There were occassional farm smells but nothing I didn't expect.

Somewhere around 2006? roughly...things changed...odorwise. For a couple years it was really bad.

More recently (the past 12 months) I only occassionally get that really bad farm odor and for the most part things are back to how they were when I moved in. When they aren't I have reached out to the farm and gotten an answer for a bad night.....
Scott Wilson
qwilson

Postby dougsears on Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:28 am

Farm, town spar once again
By Joyce Tsai, jtsai@lowellsun.com
Updated: 09/19/2010 06:41:16 AM EDT

TEWKSBURY -- In the latest installment in the continuing battle between Krochmal Farms and the town, the South Tewksbury piggery faced off against the Board of Health in a public hearing Thursday, in response to new odor complaints by the town.

An e-mail fired off Monday by town Health Director Lou-Ann Clement to Krochmal Farm's owners, the Cave family, stated the hearing was needed "due the amount of complaints." It referenced two complaints from Monday at Interstate 93 between exits 41 and 42 at 7:21 a.m., in which odors were "brutal," and another from a Rounsevell Road resident calling the smell "just impossible" last weekend.

But the Caves said they held their annual fundraiser on Sunday, in which hundreds of people attended -- and no one complained of the smell.

In addition, the Caves say they were given notice only two or three days before the meeting, whereas Clement said she provided more than the required 48 hours of notice before meetings, sending e-mails and a registered letter on Monday afternoon: "I think four days prior to the meeting is acceptable."

In response to "an influx of odor complaints" which have "increased over the summer into the fall," Clement presented a spreadsheet of the number of complaints her office has fielded since January. Complaints peaked at 52 in July and 30 in August, compared to five or fewer in January and February. Five complaints were tallied as of Sept. 12.

However, the Cave family charge that the town has denied their public records requests for information, including monthly reports of town's septic systems, a list of repairs needed for the town's sewer pump stations, about 10 of which, the family says, are in a two-mile radius of the farm -- which might also be the source of foul odors.

Jennifer Nagle, a family member and spokeswoman for the Caves, said on Friday that she believes that whenever any kind of odor is reported in town, it's assumed that "it's Krochmal Farms' fault." She also questioned whether Wyeth or Charles River Laboratories, which she said conduct animal-based research and are located on I-93 between exit 41 and 42, might be overlooked as possible odor sources.

"Do they have an odor-abatement system?" she asked.

Board of Health Chairman Ralph McHatton, who made a recent odor complaint on I-93, acknowledged that he didn't call out the farm as a source. Clement said she'd assumed it was farm-related odor.

"Human error does take place," she said the day after the meeting, "but 99 percent of the complaints were made by e-mails or phone or in person, that identify Krochmal Farm specifically."

Nagle also bemoaned the fact that complaints reach them weeks after, and the names of callers, their addresses and locations of the reported odor, are redacted -- which makes it impossible for them to determine the veracity or the source of odors to fix them. Clement said that in her roughly 30 years working in public health, she has always been advised by the town's counsel to redact personal information.

"I have seen a lot of retaliation -- and people really afraid of picking up the phone and making any kind of complaint," she said.

But Nagle said at the meeting she was offended by these claims, which "equated a family farm with a drug organization."

Finally Nagle said she also believes that Tewksbury has been "spoonfeeding" negative information about Krochmal to Wilmington, since Wilmington and the farm are currently in the midst of legal battle. Krochmal is appealing an order of prohibition by Wilmington that would force it to close operations there.

But Clement denied that Tewksbury is doing any such thing. Describing the public hearing as "a little hostile," Clement on Friday emphasized the hearing was not to take action against the farm, but to further "open communication and dialogue" between the town and farm.

But what actually came out of the meeting was a little less certain. "There was no resolution, no commitments and direction ...," Clement said. "But hopefully there will be better communication on my part and the Caves

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_16117516?so ... z0zyg5MEv4
dougsears

Postby Curiosity123 on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:42 am

Hostile behavior... what a shocker!
Curiosity123

Postby concerned_as_usual on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:06 am

I drive rt 93 to Reading twice a day (4 round trips a day) this morning was the first time I smelled anything between exit 41 and Exit 42. As I drove back and smelled it again I noticed the wind direction was from the East. All the smoke coming from some of the company alongside RT 93 were heading towards Tewksbury from Andover. Not sure how to put the blame on the pig farm smell.
concerned_as_usual

Postby BigBoss on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Exactly! There is a lot more going on along Rte 93 than the people of Wilmington and Tewksbury realize that could be causing the smells. Case in point the day of the fundraiser at the farm for the leukemia patient and blood drive there was no smell coming from the farm, but there were numerous complaints from the neighborhood. Conspiracy theorists want to know what is really happening in the woods of Tewksbury? Anyone take a walk out to Rocco's dump lately?? Just a suggestion.
BigBoss

Postby swamper on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Alleged threats over odor causes stink
By Joyce Tsai, jtsai@lowellsun.com
Updated: 03/04/2011 11:07:54 AM EST

http://www.lowellsun.com/local/ci_17538231

TEWKSBURY -- A Board of Health meeting to review Krochmal Farms' site assignment last night led board members to call police after bitter and alleged threatening words were exchanged between the piggery's owners and residents complaining about pig smells.

"It was just heated words -- no fight," said Bob O'Hearn, a member of Tewksbury Odors, who was involved in the tense exchange. "Just people getting worked up over the situation."

More than a dozen residents attended the meeting to lodge complaints about noxious odors at the farm, O'Hearn said. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss whether the piggery had been seeing improvements in its odor since its 2009 site assignment, which was designed to lessen smells from the farm -- and whether or not the board should extend, amend or get rid of the site assignment.

The board did not take a vote on the issue, but asked for more information from the farm and is planning to continue the discussion at its March 17 meeting.

The discussion over complaints got heated when the piggery's representatives said that out of 28 complaints, 20 were determined to be unfounded by the Board of Health. The Sun was unable to reach anyone on the Board of Health for comment

"They don't believe all the calls are truthful, obviously questioning the integrity of the residents," O'Hearn said.

Board member Phillip French said, "It was ironic that there were three complaints before the meeting," which O'Hearn said added fuel to the fire.

"He did apologize afterward," O'Hearn said. But the damage had already been done.

That led to a tense exchange in which someone -- depending on which side was asked -- allegedly said, "I know where you live," which sounded threatening to some board members, and police were called.

After the meeting, Krochmal Farms spokeswoman Jennifer Nagle said O'Hearn was the one who said, "I know where you are, all day every day," whereas O'Hearn said the opposite happened -- and that it was John Michael Cave, an owner of the farm, who directed the words "I know where you live" to him.

By time police arrived at the scene, the group had dispersed, said Tewksbury police Lt. James McKenna. No official complaint was filed. O'Hearn said the fact that police were called was a measure of how emotional an issue it is for both sides.

"The people (at the piggery) are passionate about the subject, and the residents are as well," he said.
swamper

PreviousNext

Return to Piggery Odor / TewksburyOdor.org