Decorum, Common Sense, and Freedom of Speech

The Friends of the Tewksbury Patriotic Activities Committee was formed in 2006 to promote and organize community funding and participation for patriotic events such as the Memorial Day parade, Veterans Day service, and Independence Day celebrations.

Decorum, Common Sense, and Freedom of Speech

Postby bferrari on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:34 am

Hello everyone.

Ten years we have been discussing, arguing, and simply talking about the issues in town and out.

It's time we reflect a minute, reset our anger levels, and begin anew.

We now have many people who honor us by contributing their views upon these forums, and many MANY more who simply Read about them, Learn, Reflect, and most importantly - Remember. Our written ideas and thoughts are appearing on all search engines world wide. Name calling is not furthering anything and only serves to belittle our own views. Let us not leave behind a virtual town meeting of indecency, unreasonableness, and censorship.

Let us instead build a legacy to Freedom of Speech tempered with Decorum and filled with Common Sense.
bferrari
Site Admin

Re: Decorum, Common Sense, and Freedom of Speech

Postby bobr on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:51 pm

Thank you bferrari.

I agree wholeheartedly.

As Stephen Stills said:

"If you can't do it with a smile on your face; if you can't do it with love in your heart;
then you ain't got no right to do it at all."

Bob Rauseo
CSNY (especially Neil Young) fan
bobr

Postby GuitarTeacher on Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 am

bobr wrote:Thank you bferrari.

I agree wholeheartedly.

As Stephen Stills said:

"If you can't do it with a smile on your face; if you can't do it with love in your heart;
then you ain't got no right to do it at all."

Bob Rauseo
CSNY (especially Neil Young) fan

@Bob Ferrari - A huge thank you for starting this! I've been here almost since the beginning (under a couple of usernames prior to this one) and I LOVE what this site has done for this town! I can't agreee more with what you've said, I've been saying it over and over how I want folks here to stop the namecalling because we have such a powerful tool in this website. We all have differences, let's be respectful of those differences and make this a true, strong voice for our town!

@bobr - I'm a huge Neil fan, too. Can't say I agree with his politics (not a fan of some of his recent output) but man you've gotta love his music. I've played many of his tunes in my bands! Personal favorite is Everybody Knows This is Nowhere. One of the best rock records ever made! I've seen him 6 times in concert and it's never the same experience twice! He gives EVERYTHING on that stage and in the studio and man, you've GOTTA respect that.
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby bferrari on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks, and I gladly do it.

Just to hit this home, about a year ago someone told me that they actually bought their home (moved to Tewksbury) because they were looking for an "active citizenry". When they found our website, "we were hooked".

I couldn't believe it :)
bferrari
Site Admin

Postby GuitarTeacher on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:55 am

bferrari wrote:Thanks, and I gladly do it.

Just to hit this home, about a year ago someone told me that they actually bought their home (moved to Tewksbury) because they were looking for an "active citizenry". When they found our website, "we were hooked".

I couldn't believe it :)

WOW! Fantastic! :D
==========================================
"A painter paints pictures on canvas.
But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
-Leopold Stokowski
GuitarTeacher

Postby tomasek1000 on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 am

And a thank you to you Bob for providing us this great opportunity to learn and communicate.
Formerly Tomasek for Senator, now just Jamison Tomasek
tomasek2010@gmail.com
tomasek1000

Postby patcheditor on Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:06 pm

I feel like I need to take a moment and echo what I'm hearing here.
The fact that a community has crime is not a reflection on the community --- but how the town responds and addresses it is a reflection.
The same is true for political disagreements ... all towns have them because different people have different priorities based on their own lives and perspectives. It is HOW a town goes about the debate that speaks volumes about a community.

We will be carrying on that same tradition with Tewksbury Patch ... we encourage people to comment on any and every story ... we want them to post photos and videos and post announcements and events.... participate as much as you want.

But ...

Decorum must be followed and respect to others must be shown. Points can be made and arguments can be had without vicious personal attacks or vulgarity of any kind. Always remember, the person you may be attacking has a family ... a spouse, children, grandchildren, parents ...always look at the big picture when critiquing a person, even a public official, consider your words carefully. Show yourself to be thoughtful and articulate in your arguments and you will win more converts to your position.
patcheditor

Return to Friends of the Tewksbury Patriotic Activities Committee